The MA/PhD degree program in Depth Psychology with Emphasis in Somatics Studies is the only program in the country that offers a doctorate in Somatic Studies.
Please click here to see our course descriptions: Somatic Studies Course Descriptions
This program is unique because it is based on the tradition of depth psychology, which holds the unconscious dynamic of the psyche to be a rich and profoundly evocative resource for both mental and physical healing. The program recognizes that psychological health must be gauged in terms of our capacity to be embodied, because our body mediates our essential relationship to the world. Accordingly, it offers a strong experiential component through active imagination, dream work, movement, and meditation.
The Somatic Studies program recognizes that there are as many entries into the body/mind dynamic as there are beings on Earth. The program’s students reflect this fact. They come from diverse backgrounds. Some are psychotherapists or dance or movement therapists, while others are body workers, massage therapists, yoga teachers, or personal trainers. Still others are healthcare practitioners, including nurses and acupuncturists. And there are students with no background in body therapies but a keen interest in exploring depth psychology from a somatic perspective. The curriculum is a blend of hard sciences and creative expressions of the humanities. Some courses are based on science, but the program is not constrained by science. That means that we study the areas of neuroanatomy, neuroplasticity, and psychoneuroimmunology without being reductive and finite.
Students in the Somatic Studies specialization:
• Read, interpret, and critically reflect upon the theories and traditions of Depth Psychology, remembering the body and recalling its voice
• Develop the capacity and skill to maintain awareness of and connection to the unconscious
• Learn techniques and practices of dream work, body movement, and active imagination as healing practices
• Develop literacy in the emerging domain of neuroscience as it applies of Depth Psychology and somatic studies
• Develop skills in research and writing that will support their efforts to articulate and promote effective healing practices
• Participate with like-minded scholars and healers in the expansion of a new exciting field
Marion Woodman Scholarship
The Marion Woodman Scholarship Fund is for the M.A./Ph.D. Depth Psychology with emphasis in Somatic Studies Program. A number of scholarships are offered to newly admitted students in the Somatic Studies Program based on extreme financial hardship and strong academic excellence.
“Our body is our home, a treasure trove that houses our awareness. It is an exquisite vehicle that when well-tended will offer us direct access to the unconscious. In this program we learn to inhabit our bodies through a variety of experiential forms such as active imagination, dream work, movement, and meditation.”~ Caylin Huttar, Ph.D., L.Ac. Program Chair